It predicts success better than intelligence, ability, or salary.
~ 4 Tips to Stay Motivated ~
- Make a Date – Knowing where and when to start is half the battle to finding the motivation to organize. The next part is actually ‘doing it”. Take a look at your calendar and see if you have some time on your next days off to fit in some organizing. Pick a day when you don’t have much going on and choose how long you want to spend working on your organizing project (I set a timer). I recommend choosing a time early in the day, because if you wait to organize later in the day, it most likely won’t happen. You have time to think of excuses or putting other projects (that you really like to do) before the organizing project.
- The Big Picture – I usually take a photo of my projects, even my own at home. Grab your camera or cell phone and take pictures of what you need to organize. Download it onto your computer and take a look. Pictures have a wonderful ability to show us things we might miss while we’re standing in the space at the moment. Be objective with yourself when looking at the photo and jot down some notes on what you see:
- Does anything jump out at you?
- What do you like about the picture?
- What don’t you like?
This little trick can be super helpful when you’re working on a large-scale project. When you start to lose that motivation to keep going, pull up the photo or take a new photo of the space to remind yourself of how far you’ve come. And just think about how amazing that AFTER photo is going to look!
- Get Your Groove On – Play your favorite playlist or youtube your favorite get-up and move tunes, or maybe you’re like me at times I prefer a playlist with more soothing music to help get the organizing work under away. Whatever your preference, make sure it is music that will INSPIRE you to keep focused on the project. I find this really helpful when I get to the purging stage that comes after sorting. You know that point where things are looking so much worse than they did before you started? That’s when you need those tunes cranking!
- Find Your Organizing Mentor – Everyone needs one! Whether it someone in a group you’re with on Facebook , or someone you know in real life, or find someone who is good at organizing and take some time to have a chit-chat with them. For me, I have one – Julie Morgenstern, I bought her book Organizing from the Inside Out in 1998. I fell in love because she let me know I was not ‘weird’ for loving Order & Tidy! My mom would tell her friends how “I can walk into a room to get something her and when I left something would have been organized… in just a matter of minutes”. Julie’s book and other resources I have collected over the years are like my “Organization Bibles” – I highlight, make notes, and flag pages. These resources along with magazine photos keeps me motivated to complete my projects . . . Whatever works!
Good luck with your projects – don’t give up, keep the end result in sight!
Peace & Harmony ~ Cheryl
Are you looking to gain Clarity in your life? Comment me @ firstname.lastname@example.org. We can talk about what the next step will be for you.
Like me here – CC Home Concierge Co. Facebook Page
20% off First Concierge Service Booked – Offer good until 3/31/2019
Show Me Some Love:
Facebook – homeconciergeandorganizer
Instagram – CherCamach Concierge
LinkedIn – cheryl-camacho Concierge