Besides the millions of excuses, there are three fears people have when it comes to files and piles of paperwork. I call these fears “The 3-Fs”.
- Find a Name . . . for that baby! – If you don’t know what that piece of paper or that pile of paperwork is called it will be difficult to make a DECISION about the papers.
- Flew The Coop!– People are so afraid to toss paper, for heaven sake you should DISCARD anything you may need one day or your son’s daughter may want Aunt Ida’s calendar from the store where they shopped at when her grandfather was young – before it closed . . . in . . . 1950!
- Fading Away! – This third one haunts many – if I file that paper in there it will DISAPPEAR forever never to be seen from again. Do . . . Do . . . Do . . .
Five Easy Steps To An Organized File System
- Categorize your files – Simple: Active or Inactive
- Write out a filing system on a piece of paper (Headings/Subheads)
- Physically set-up your file system – have all supplies on hand to prevent from stopping and starting the project. (upcoming post)
- Put the finishing touches on the system – label files, drawers, bins, closet shelves or container. (Prepare a file chart if others will be using file system)
- Maintain your system with a weekly routine (example: set a routing to have filing done by Friday afternoons).
3 Questions To Ask
- When is it used? How many times a day, a week, a month, a year do you handle it?
- What is it? Under what category does it belong?
- Where should it go? Near your desk? In storage? In a filing cabinet? Which drawer? The trash?
Contact me to schedule a complimentary consultation today! I can help set up a file system in the home office or workplace (860)961.6824/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Pin Me: https://www.pinterest.com/thecamach/
Like Me: Facebook – homeconciergeandorganizer
Tweet Me: Twitter – TheCamach Concierge
Find Me: FindMyOrganizer – CC Home Concierge Company