How to Prepare the Guest Room
If you will be hosting people in your home over the holidays, the first thing you want to focus on is making their bedroom as comfortable as possible. This is the space that your guests are going to make themselves at home, so it’s important to make it cozy and welcoming.
Here are a few things to help make the room inviting:
- Outfit the bed with comfortable sheets, blankets, and pillows – and if possible, don’t use old, worn bedding from years gone by. Just like you enjoy quality bedding in a hotel, plan to provide that for your guests, too. You may want to invest in a set of Egyptian cotton sheets for your guest room, and provide 2 pillows per guest (I’d suggest one fiberfill and one feather-filled.) Cover the bed with a medium weight blanket or comforter, and store extra blankets in the closet for those chilly nights.
- Bedside lamps are a must. If your guest is a late-night reader, providing soft lamp lighting is much nicer than one bright overhead light in the room.
- Post your WiFi network name and password in the guest room. In this tech-y day and age, your guests will most definitely want to tap in to your WiFi on their phones, computers, and tablets, so make it as easy as possible for them to do so.
- A welcome basket of treats, snacks, and small toiletry items is a lovely way to say “We’re So Glad You’re Here!” I save all the small toiletry items from my hotel visits and bring them home to share with my own guests.
- Fresh flowers add a beautiful touch to any room. Even a single flower in a small vase adds can add a dash of freshness, and this little touch will not go unnoticed.
- Provide extra hangers in the closet and ample space to hang clothing. If there’s not enough room for a suitcase, an extra chair, ottoman, or suitcase rack solves that problem.
- Place a few bottles of water on the nightstand, so your guests don’t have to venture to the kitchen at night.
- Add a nightlight in the hallway and near the guest bathroom to help make a middle-of-the-night restroom visit less treacherous.
Peace & Harmony ~ Cheryl
Would like to get help to organize your Holiday Preparations? If you’d like to schedule a 30+ minute consultation with me and learn how a Home Concierge can help you get your home ready for Holiday guests – Call me: (860)961.6824 or Email me: email@example.com.