You don’t need to block out 30 minutes of meditation, or grab your yoga mat in order to experience the benefits of mindfulness at work. First you can setup a few personal habits in the morning to get the most out of your work day – in terms of productivity and reduced stress. Here are a few ways to help you stay in the present moment to do your best during a busy week at work.
Here are 7 ways to be Mindful at work:
- Set your goals for the week – at the beginning of the work week, especially if its going to be a busy week. I set intentions (goals), I write them down on index cards to carry with me – ‘my intentions of the week may be to Stay Calm * Stay Present * Stay Focused.
- Do one thing – Focus your attention on one task at a time. Slow down your thoughts and movements until you come back to your singular focus. At times we try to multi task with our time only to find out at the end of the week we have accomplished NOTHING. One, multi tasking does not work – it only has you running around trying to finish various projects, instead of focusing on the one project through completion and then moving on to the next.
- Take pleasure in your work – Have a laugh with a coworker, take a glance out the window and admire nature, sit back and appreciate yourself on all your work project completions, find something to be thankful for in having your job – there is always something to be grateful for.
- Give others your full attention – Stop what you are doing at the moment, really listen and pay attention to your coworker when they are talking. You need to take those few moments to really connect with coworkers that are asking for your attention – it will make them feel good and in turn it will make you feel good about yourself.
- Use your breaks to be in tune with your body – Do some stretches – Take short walks – Take some deep breathe – Do some yoga poses at your desk – Listen to inspirational music.
- Put reminder stickers around your workplace – Put some post it notes around your workplace as reminders – I put them on my computer, phone, and desk. Every time I see the stickers it reminds me to Pause * Bring me back to my Task Focus * Press forward to task completion.
- At the end of the day – don’t lose your mindfulness – Focus on your breathing, congratulate yourself for your mindful attitude at work today. More importantly set your intention to leave your work at the office. Carry your mindful attitude home to enjoy your time with family and friends.
Peace & Harmony ~ Cheryl
Check me out here ——>